Joomla! Permissions Problem With Godaddy Web Hosting
Have you tried building a website with Joomla! yet? It's a great system; it allows those of us with limited time to devote to website building the chance to achieve interactive sites we would have otherwise thought impossible. But do not fall for the line about building a Joomla! site in an afternoon! For most of us it is not about to happen!
There are a number of books out there that can help with Joomla! But they all start off at a point well beyond the reach of the average Facebook page owner. Believe me, it's not just a matter of picking a template and uploading images and content. Permissions are a good example of this dichotomy between hype and reality.
Briefly, permissions decide who can make changes to your Joomla! website; they restrict and control everything from uploading to changing your backend settings like the global configurations. I recently ran afoul of them after uploading a Joomla! site to my Godaddy web hosting center. Everything seemed in order and I proceeded to upload content, but the moment I tried to change something in the global configuration suite I discovered otherwise: an ugly blue banner that said "An error has occurred! " slid across the page. What the heck did that mean? I was the "Super Administrator!" I should be able to do anything I want! Should not I? Almost not …
Forget the books I mentioned earlier. They were no help at all. Fortunately the web is complete with discussion forums concerned with Joomla !. The problem with these forums is that most of them couch their explanations in terms most weekend-web developers have either the time nor inclining to follow. This was by no means my first rodeo and I still had a hard time keeping up!
One answer I found to this particular problem required the use of the ftp client, Filezilla. Now while Filezilla is not a particularly complicated program, it still requires a bit of time and effort to learn to use it (It will take up at least one morning or afternoon on the weekend you have set to build that Joomla! Website) . Fortunately I'd used it before and was able to follow the directions provided by the Joomla! forum; it appeared a simple matter of a right click on the file attributes. Problem was, it did not work for me. I tried it over and over and it still did not work; the changes to file attributes simply would not save. I thought I had to be missing something obvious and I kept digging deeper and deeper into the discussions.
Finally, after spending the better part of a day trying to find the answer I found what I was looking for on page five or six of the Google search results. One of the discussion participants simply said, "if your ftp client does not work you might have to check your hosting provider's file maintenance tools." Bingo! The light went on and I ran back to Godaddy. And there was was – looking big as Dallas – in my file manager, "Permissions!"
What makes me crazy – coupled the fact that I wasted the better part of day looking for something that was right in front of me – is that this answer should still have been easier.